What is the prize for?
The prize is for the best fiction book self-published in the U.S. during the period under consideration (for the 2020 prize, this is anything published between January 2019 and December 2019).
What are the judges looking for?
- A story that delights and entertains the reader
- A well produced ebook or print book
- A well designed cover and intriguing blurb
- A marketing and publicity strategy that addresses the relevant audience and has the potential for great sales
When do I need to submit my work?
Submissions for the 2020 prize open on January 7, 2020 and close at midnight on February 29, 2020. For further information, please email email@example.com.
How do I submit my work?
Details on how to submit for the 2020 Selfies are given on the submission page.
What is the Prize?
All authors submitting work will receive a free subscription to BookLife, the online resource that provides tips, news and information for indie and self-published authors, plus 50% off Combined Book Exhibit’s (CBE) published rates for any trade show in 2020-21.
All shortlisted authors will receive free entrance to the 2020 American Library Association’s Annual (ALA) Conference in Chicago in June 2020, a book display at one CBE trade show and a feature in the CBE Library Newsletter which goes to 30,000 librarians.
The winner will receive $1,000 cash plus a $5,000 package of advertising in Publishers Weekly (PW), both in print and online, plus free display at five trade shows on the CBE schedule in 2020-21 and a feature in the CBE Library Newsletter.
What are the key timings for the 2020 Selfies?
- Submissions will open on January 7 and close on February 29
- The shortlists will be announced at the end of May via BookLife, PW, IngramSpark, CBE and other partner agencies
- The winner will be announced at the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago on June 27, time and venue TBC
What are the criteria for work to be accepted?
- Titles must be adult fiction self-published in the U.S. in English between January and December 2019
- Book should be between 70,000 and 100,000 words long
- Author must live in the U.S.
- Book must be submitted as a PDF, ebook or other digital file
What happens if I have further questions or problems submitting my work?
- Please check your spam if you don’t receive a confirmatory email with the link to submit your work once you have subscribed via the BookLife site
- If you can’t find the email, or have problems subscribing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.