About THE AWARDS
The Selfies have been launched in the U.S. by Publishers Weekly and BookLife in recognition of one of the fastest-growing parts of the book market.
This exciting new initiative aims to discover new talent and reward the very best indie-published titles each year. The Selfies are sponsored by IngramSpark, Ingram’s ebook and print self-publishing platform and Combined Book Exhibit (CBE), and run in association with BookBrunch.
The Selfies were originally launched by BookBrunch in the UK in 2018, in collaboration with IngramSpark and the London Book Fair; the first Selfies award was presented at the London Book Fair in March 2019.
Prize for Winning
- $1,000 cash and $5,000 worth of trade advertising
- Free display at five trade shows in 2020-21
- Feature in issue of CBE Library Newsletter going to 30,000 librarians
- Plus free entry for all shortlisted authors to 2020 ALA Annual Conference
- Plus discount of 50% on CBE displays in 2020-21 for all submitting work
- Adult fiction titles only can be submitted (in future years we hope to add other categories)
- Book to have been self-published between January 2019 and December 2019 by an author living in the US
- Only works written in English can be accepted
- Submissions open on January 7, 2020
- All submissions to be received by midnight on February 29, 2020
- Shortlist will be announced May 29, 2020
- The inaugural Selfies Award will be presented on June 27, 2020
- Full novel (no unfinished works or short stories will be accepted) as a digital file, ebook or PDF. Novels are generally 70k-100k words
- Synopsis and author biography to be supplied
- Overview of sales to date and marketing/PR also required
The prize for the winning author is $1,000 cash plus a $5,000 package of advertising in Publishers Weekly, both in the print magazine and online. In addition, CBE will display the winning title at five trade shows on the CBE schedule in 2020-21, and feature the title in an issue of the CBE Library Newsletter, which goes to 30,000 librarians.
All shortlisted authors will receive free entrance to the 2020 American Library Association’s Annual Conference, a book display at one trade show on the CBE schedule in 2020-21 and be featured in the CBE Library Newsletter.
All authors entering the Selfies in the U.S. will be given the opportunity of a 50% discount off CBE’s published rates for any show in 2020 and 2021.
THE WINNING ENTRY
A preliminary judging panel will review all submissions and draw up a shortlist for the final judging panel. Judges will be looking for:
- A fantastic story that entertains and delights the reader
- A well-produced book
- An enticing cover and blurb that successfully addresses the target audience
- An effective and creative marketing and publicity strategy with the potential for significant sales
The shortlist will be announced at the end of May via the Selfies website, BookLife, Publishers Weekly, IngramSpark and other associated agencies. The shortlist will be reviewed by an expert judging panel.
It is hoped that all shortlisted authors will be able to attend the prize giving on Saturday, June 27, 2020 at the American Library Association’s Annual Conference in Chicago, IL.
Everybody submitting work will receive a free subscription to BookLife, the online resource that provides tips, news and information for indie and self-published authors.
Booklife membership allows authors to:
- Post news and reviews about their books, which then get featured on BookLife’s homepage
- Upload excerpts from their books
- Submit their book for Publishers Weekly review consideration for FREE
- Receive the weekly BookLife Report e-newsletter and the monthly BookLife digital supplement in Publishers Weekly.