About THE AWARDS
The U.S. Selfies book awards were launched in 2020 by Publishers Weekly and BookLife in recognition of one of the fastest-growing parts of the book market.
This exciting initiative aims to discover new talent and reward the very best indie-published titles each year. The U.S. Selfies are sponsored by IngramSpark, Ingram’s ebook and print self-publishing platform, and Combined Book Exhibit (CBE), and run in association with BookBrunch.
The Selfies were originally launched by BookBrunch in the UK in 2018, in collaboration with IngramSpark and the London Book Fair; the first Selfies award was presented at the London Book Fair in March 2019.
Prize for Winning
- $1,000 cash and $5,000 worth of trade advertising
- Free display at five trade shows in 2022-23
- Feature in issue of CBE Library Newsletter going to 30,000 librarians
- Advertising in PW’s June 27 issue to congratulate the winners
- Plus advertising for all shortlisted titles in PW’s ALA preview issue on June 13
- Plus discount of 50% on CBE displays in 2022-23 for all submitted work
- Adult fiction, memoir/autobiography and children’s/YA books only may be submitted
- Book to have been independently published between January 2021 and December 2021 by an author living in the U.S.
- Only works written in English will be accepted
- Submissions open on February 1, 2022
- All submissions to be received by midnight EST on March 31, 2022
- Shortlist to be announced May, 2022
- The U.S. Selfies Award will be announced online via Zoom on June 16. For further details and an invitation to the event please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adult fiction and adult memoir/autobiography: full work (no unfinished novels, poetry or short stories will be accepted, and entries for autobiography/memoir must be about the author’s own life) as a digital file, e-book or PDF. Novels are generally 70k-100k words long.
- Children’s book: full work supplied as a digital file, e-book or PDF.
- Synopsis and author biography to be supplied. Please include illustrator biography for children’s picture books.
- Overview of sales to date and marketing/PR also required.
The prize for the winning authors is $1,000 cash plus a $5,000 package of advertising in Publishers Weekly, both in the print magazine and online. In addition, CBE will display the winning titles at five trade shows on the CBE schedule in 2021-22, and feature the titles in an issue of the CBE Library Newsletter, which goes to 30,000 librarians.
All shortlisted authors will be featured in an advertisement in PW’s ALA preview issue on June 13, as well as being displayed at one trade show on the CBE schedule in 2022-23 and featured in the CBE Library Newsletter.
All authors entering the Selfies in the U.S. will be given the opportunity of a 50% discount off CBE’s published rates for any show in 2022 and 2023.
THE WINNING ENTRIES
A preliminary judging panel reviewed all submissions and drew up shortlists for the final judging panel. Judges look for:
- A fantastic story that entertains and delights the reader
- A well-produced book
- An enticing cover and blurb that successfully addresses the target audience
- An effective and creative marketing and publicity strategy with the potential for significant sales
The shortlists were announced in May and the winners will be announced on June 17 following an invitation only ceremony on June 16.
Everybody submitting work will receive a free subscription to BookLife, the online resource that provides tips, news and information for indie and self-published authors.
BookLife membership allows authors to:
- Post news about and reviews of their books, which then get featured on BookLife’s homepage
- Upload excerpts from their books
- Submit their books for Publishers Weekly review consideration for FREE
- Receive the weekly BookLife Report e-newsletter and the monthly BookLife digital supplement in Publishers Weekly.