About THE AWARDS
THE SELFIES 2020
The Selfies Book Awards have been launched in the US by Publishers Weekly and Booklife in recognition of one of the fastest-growing parts of the book market.
This exciting new initiative aims to discover new talent and reward the very best self-published titles each year. The Selfies are sponsored by IngramSpark, Ingram’s ebook and print self-publishing platform and Combined Book Exhibit (CBE), in association with BookBrunch and Book Expo/Book Con.
The Selfies were originally launched by BookBrunch, in collaboration with IngramSpark and the London Book Fair, in the UK in 2018; the first award was presented at the London Book Fair in March 2019.
- Submissions open at the end of October 2019
- All submissions to be received by midnight on 20th December 2019
- Shortlist will be announced 30th April 2020
- The inaugural Selfies Award will be presented on 30th May 2020
- Full novel (no unfinished works or short stories will be accepted) as a digital file, ebook or PDF. Novels are generally between 70k+ words
- Synopsis and author biography to be supplied
- Overview of sales to date and marketing/pr also required
- Adult fiction titles only can be submitted (in future years we hope to add other categories)
- Book to have been self-published between December 2018 and December 2019 by an author living in the US
- Only works written in English can be accepted
THE WINNING ENTRY
A preliminary judging panel will review all submissions and draw up a shortlist for the final judging panel. Judges will be looking for:
- A fantastic story that entertains and delights the reader
- A well-produced book
- An enticing cover and blurb that successfully addresses the target audience
- An effective and creative marketing and publicity strategy with the potential for significant sales
The shortlist will be announced at the end of April via the Selfies Book Awards website, Publishers Weekly, IngramSpark and partner agencies. The shortlist will be reviewed by an expert judging panel.
It is hoped that all shortlisted authors will be able to attend the prize giving at Book Con in New York on Saturday, 30th May 2020.
The prize for the winning author is $1,000 cash plus a $5,000 package of advertising in Publishers Weekly, both in the print magazine and online. In addition, CBE will display the winning title at five trade shows on the CBE schedule in 2020/21, plus feature the title in an issue of the CBE Library Newsletter which goes to 30,000 librarians.
All shortlisted authors will receive free entrance to Book Con 2020, and a book display at one trade show on the CBE schedule in 2020/21, plus featuring in the CBE Library Newsletter.
All authors entering the Selfies Book Awards in the US will be given the opportunity of a 50% discount off CBE’s published rates for any show in 2020 and 2021.
Everybody submitting work will receive a free subscription to BookLife, the online resource that provides tips, news and information for indie and self-published authors.
Booklife membership allows authors to:
- Post news and reviews about their books, which then get featured on Booklife’s homepage
- Upload an except from their book
- Submit their book for Publishers Weekly review consideration for FREE
- Receive the weekly Booklife Report e-newsletter and the monthly Booklife digital supplement in Publishers Weekly.