What is the prize for?
The prize is for the best fiction and best children’s book self-published in the U.S. during the period under consideration (for the 2021 prize, this is anything published between January 2020 and December 2020).
What are the judges looking for?
- A story that delights and entertains the reader
- A well produced book
- A well designed cover and intriguing blurb
- A marketing and publicity strategy that addresses the relevant audience and has the potential for great sales
When and how do I need to submit my work?
Who won the previous U.S. Selfies book award?
Tim Westover was the winner of the inaugural U.S. Selfies book award for his novel The Winter Sisters. Read more news here.
What is the Prize?
In 2021, all authors submitting work will receive a free subscription to BookLife, the online resource that provides tips, news and information for indie and self-published authors, plus 50% off Combined Book Exhibit’s (CBE) published rates for any trade show in 2021-2022.
All shortlisted authors will receive free entrance to the 2021 American Library Association’s Annual (ALA) Conference in Chicago in June 2021, a book display at one CBE trade show and a feature in the CBE Library Newsletter which goes to 30,000 librarians.
The winners will each receive $1,000 cash plus a $5,000 package of advertising in Publishers Weekly (PW), both in print and online, plus free display at five trade shows on the CBE schedule in 2021-22 and a feature in the CBE Library Newsletter.
What are the key timings for the 2021 Selfies?
- Submissions will open on January 1, 2021 and close on March 1, 2021
- The shortlists will be announced in mid-April via BookLife, Publishers Weekly, IngramSpark, CBE and other partner agencies
- The winner will be announced at the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago on June 26, time and venue to be announced
What are the criteria for work to be accepted?
- Titles must be adult fiction or children’s/YA books self-published in the U.S. in English between January and December 2020
- Adult fiction titles should be between 70,000 and 100,000 words long
- The author (and illustrator if applicable) must live in the U.S.
- The book must be submitted as a PDF, e-book or other digital file
What happens if I have further questions or problems submitting my work?
- Please check your spam if you don’t receive a confirmation email with the link to submit your work once you have subscribed via the BookLife site
- If you can’t find the email, or have problems subscribing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.